Insurance is supposed to protect your loved ones. But what happens when your long-term disability claim gets denied? It can be a frustrating and disheartening experience, especially when you rely on those benefits to support yourself and your family.
At Monahan Tucker Law, we understand the challenges you may face when dealing with a denied long-term disability claim. Our team of experienced attorneys assists clients with long term disability claims and appeals. We are here to guide you through the process, fight for your rights, and help you secure the benefits you deserve.
The Importance of a Successful Long-Term Disability Claim
A long-term disability claim provides crucial financial support when you are unable to work due to a disability or medical condition. It ensures that you have a steady income to cover your daily expenses, medical bills, and provide for your family’s needs. A successful claim can bring peace of mind and alleviate some of the burdens that come with being unable to work.
Reasons for Denial and Common Issues
There are several reasons why a long-term disability claim may be denied. Understanding these reasons can help you navigate the appeals process more effectively. Common issues that can lead to denial include:
- Lack of Sufficient Medical Evidence: Insufficient medical documentation or failure to provide detailed records of your condition and its impact on your ability to work.
- Discrepancies in Medical Information: Inconsistencies or conflicts between your medical records and the information provided in your claim.
- Failure to Meet the Definition of Disability: If your condition does not meet the insurance policy’s definition of disability or if you do not meet the required criteria.
- Missed Deadlines: Failure to submit your claim within the specified timeframe or to meet deadlines for providing additional information or appeals.
Steps to Take When Your Claim is Denied
If your long-term disability claim is denied, don’t lose hope. There are steps you can take to appeal the decision and increase your chances of a successful outcome. Here’s what you should do:
- Review the Denial Letter: Carefully read the denial letter to understand the specific reasons why your claim was denied. This will help you address those issues in your appeal.
- Obtain Legal Representation: Contact an experienced long-term disability attorney like Monahan Tucker Law. Our skilled team will navigate the complex appeals process on your behalf, ensuring that your rights are protected and that all necessary evidence is gathered.
- Gather Supporting Documents: Collect any additional medical records, test results, doctor’s statements, and other relevant documentation that can strengthen your case. It’s crucial to provide solid evidence of your disability and its impact on your ability to work.
- Write a Strong Appeal Letter: Craft a compelling appeal letter that addresses the reasons for denial and provides new evidence supporting your claim. Clearly explain how your condition meets the policy’s definition of disability and emphasize the impact it has on your daily life.
- Follow the Appeals Process: Submit your appeal within the specified timeframe, following all instructions provided by the insurance company. Keep copies of all correspondence and maintain a record of important dates and deadlines.
- Ensure that All Relevant Documents Are Included In Your Appeal: If your claim is governed by ERISA, then likely you will not have the opportunity to submit new information about your condition if your appeal is denied and you need to litigate the claim. This is why it is so important to hire an attorney to work with you on the appeal — because your attorney can ensure all the documentation you may need in litigation is included in your appeal package.
Trust Monahan Tucker Law to Fight for Your Rights
At Monahan Tucker Law, we have a long track record of success in handling disability claims and appeals. Our dedicated attorneys have extensive experience in navigating the intricacies of long-term disability cases.
We understand the emotional and financial toll a denied claim can take on you and your family. That’s why we are committed to providing exceptional legal services that meet your unique needs and exceed your expectations. We will fight passionately to regain what was wrongfully taken from you and restore your agency and dignity.
Contact us today for a consultation. Let us be your voice and advocate as we work together to achieve the best possible outcome for your long-term disability claim.